Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year's Day, 2011

After our excruciatingly exciting New Year's Eve, which you'll have to check my previous blog life in twentyten in order to really capture the thrill of life in the fast lane, we decided to go to the gym this morning. For many people, New Year's Day is a day to start their resolutions for the new year. I, however, choose to ease into it. So the only reason I went to the gym this morning is because they promised a free continental breakfast. I did do my regular lame workout, but today is a day that isn't fated to be a diet day, because the afternoon of January 1 is always the party that our friend Doreen gives. It's a full English high tea and she invites people from all her various interests -- Unitarians, Art Deco people, Old City Association people, and various others whose connections I don't even know. But it's always a fun party and she makes all these wonderful English tea treats -- tiny sandwiches filled with lox or cucumbers, shortbread cookies, other cookies, scones with clotted cream, fig pudding with hard sauce, chocolate decadence (the only chocolate offering -- this is an English tea, after all -- and trifle. She has lovely antique English bone china, and the tea is served from two or three wonderful old tea servers. Tablecloths are hand embroidered linen -- well, you can kind of follow the theme here. It's really elegant.

Doreen (in the pink knitted dress) is very involved in the Art Deco society, and she usually has on a dress from the period. Her house is a Victorian from about the 1890s and radiates charm and warmth. Anyway, it's always a wonderful time, and I usually meet someone new every year. Today I met a Superior Court judge, and got to have a long talk with a friend I hadn't seen in many years.
The last picture is gratuitous. Doreen has a ton of hats and they are all really interesting. I suppose it's an English thing, in case you're going to go meet the Queen, or maybe get invited to the royal wedding this summer. Anyway, I love the hats. This is about half the hats she has on display.

No comments:

Post a Comment