Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Museums and Musicals

Some days I feel so tired, in part because I can't seem to sleep at night. At least some days I can sleep, but it takes me an hour or more to fall asleep. And then I just feel exhausted the next day, at least until we leave the apartment.
Once we finally got on the road today, we thought we'd go to the Jewish museum and the Cooper Hewitt. Both are within a block of each other on 5th Avenue, in the Museum Mile. Except when we got to the Jewish Museum, it was closed because they're closed on Wednesday. We will go back tomorrow, because they're having a concert there tomorrow night with a Czech Klezmer band (I think) which looks like fun.
All was not lost, though, because we decided to go on to the Cooper Hewitt. John was feeling particularly clever because he remembered to bring his Smithsonian card and figured he could get into Cooper Hewitt for free. Except it's closed for a two-year renovation and we could only visit the garden.
Not to worry, though, we decided to go on to the Met, look at the vendors outside (seems like nothing ever changes there) so we decided to go on in and check out the pastel portraits. They were really interesting. It's amazing how much detail they got with pastels. We thought we'd go up on the roof, but at 4 o'clock they apparently don't let anyone new up there. So after a tour of the gift shop, we caught the cross-town bus home so we could have something to eat before the evening and then feed and play with the girls.
The Europan "bakery" is right around the corner from Martha's, and therefore is a place we often get a quick bite. They have everything -- salads, pastries, bagels & fixin's, breakfast-type food, pizza, roast chicken, panini, and probably other things I've never noticed.
We had tickets for Book of Mormon tonight, which is a really funny musical. Doesn't beat up the Mormons anywhere near as much as I suppose they think it does, but it does have a lot of profanity, etc. in it. It realistically describes the cult's more bizarre beliefs and has what I would consider great scenery and production values, even though I don't have much taste in musicals, as I will be the first to admit. It was a near sold out house, as close as I could tell. As usual, i thought it was WAY TOO LOUD, but I expected that and took ear plugs with me.
After the show we went to Roxy's and had chocolate raspberry hazelnut cheesecake. I later thought I should have just had the plain, but it was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment