We finally got our butts out of the apartment about noon, then stopped for lunch, so we finally got there around 1:30. In all our visits to NY, I’ve never been to this museum. It’s just undergone a big renovation, not the least of which has been cleaning the outside of the building to its original pink color. It does look quite nice.
When we walked in the door, it was an absolute madhouse. The line to buy tickets had at least a hundred people in front of us. Off to the left, I saw a row of computers so I went over to check whether you could order and print a ticket, or if it was just a place to get a will call ticket you had already ordered. It was the former, so I bought the tickets and thought I was pretty smart. Excapt when we got up to the brain exhibit we wanted to see, it turned out it was a special exhibit and we had to go back down and buy another ticket. The line was still the same length, but this time John asked somebody and he moved us up to the front of the line to do another transaction to get the tix we wanted.
The brain exhibit was really interesting. There were a lot of interactive exhibits like one where a video said something in a foreign language and you tried to repeat it – there was a graphic depiction of the speaker and you, and you could listen to the speaker again and then listen to yourself. I learned that I will never be able to speak Chinese.
Another exhibit had you try to trace a design while looking at your hand in a mirror, then you got to do it a second time to see if you improved. I was always too slow to even find out. The last time I tried it, I did it with my left hand, which was infiinitely better.
They had another test which we’ve all seen on the internet where they have a column of words which name colors and on which the words are in colors.. The first column has the word red, for example, in red. In the second column, you are supposed to call out the color, which is, for example, red, but the printed word is purple. It took us about 5 seconds to read the first column, and about 30 to read the second column. After a couple of tries, we could do the second list in about 10 seconds.
We also visited the dinosaur exhibits, made a video to send to people whose email addresses we could remember, and saw a lot of reptile and mammal skeletons. Best of all, it was 95 degrees outside and cool in the museum.. I had a wool sweater on before we left. On the way home we tried a new to us restaurant that served Turkish food. It was pretty good. I had falafel and artichoke hearts and John had a chicken kabob. Stopped on the way home for a famous NY custard, which turns out to be soft ice cream. You know you’re in NYC when a small cone costs $4.25. If it were gelato, that would be one thing…
Came home, fed cats, changed their box and spent hours reading Sunday’s paper (even though it’s already Monday)
No comments:
Post a Comment