Tuesday, July 12, 2011

ON THE WAY TO NEW YORK

I'm doing one of my favorite things right now, which is sitting in an airport. I k now most people hate this, but in fact, I love hanging out at airports. For me the expectation that I'm going to get on a plane and get off in a few hours in a distant destination is just a lovely anticipation.

We went down to see the birds tonight. I thought they might be there to say goodbye, but they decided to make themselves scarce tonight. Last night birdwatching was so much fun! All four of the hawks were jumping around in the trees, hunting, catching stuff, ripping it up (video of that baby) and then while we were walking down 23rd Street one of them flew down at street level right in front of Lynda. We've now witnessed the catching of a bird, the probable robbing of a nest, and catching a rat.


We have enjoyed these birds so much. It's like having a nature preserve right down the street. And when they're all there screeching and flying and catching up with each other it's just wonderful. I'm sure they will be gone by the time we get back from New York. Already you hardly hear any other birds in the neighborhood. Six hawks eat a lot of other animals. Although I rather think the parents aren't around any more. We just see the little guys. They are venturing further away daily but so far the four of them still seem to hang around and more or less stay with each other. But they don't share food. He who catches, eats. I've added a picture of leftovers. When we can't find birds, we go for bird leftovers.

I tried to upload a video, but it takes a very long time and there wasn't enough time. I'll try again when we get to Martha's tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment