It's fortunate that New York is the most exciting city in the world, because otherwise I would think I was in California for the heat -- except for the fact that it's also humid. Things are so well air conditioned -- and we do scurry from place to place to sit in the AC, that when you go in somewhere for awhile -- espcially a bus or a grocery store, when you come outside, your glasses fog up!!!
Anyway, today we thought we'd go to MOMA, come back and feed the girls, then go to the Jewish museum which was closed yesterday. There was a concert tonight, so the plan was to go to the museum about 5 p.m., buy tickets for the concert tonight and stay for the concert. Except the concert was sold out.
So we started off to the museum anyway, because we really wanted to see the Cone sisters collection. They were part of a very rich Jewish family in Baltimore who made their money in textiles. They were the biggest supplier of goods to Levi Strauss, and they made uniforms.
There were thirteen children in the family, and two of the sons were the ones who made all the money. Two of the sisters, Etta and Clarabelle were very close. Clarab
elle was a doctor but the two of them traveled widely and collected art. The collected a lot of Picasso, and Matisse, but they had a giant collection. They were friends with Gertrude Stein and her brother Leo, and their tastes were similar. Etta may have been a lover of Gertrude Stein's, but their relationship soured after Alice B. Toklas came along, and Etta was not happy to be in Gertrude's company after that. Anyway, it was a really good exhibit. There was a second exhibit of mostly drawings by the illustrator Maira Kalman, whose name I didn't recognize, but whose work is quite familiar. She does almost primitive looking line drawings usually with printing on the paper that looks handwritten.
When we left the Jewish museum, it was after 4, so we thought we'd do a quick stop at the Guggenheim.
But we were met by the sign we keep seeing:
So we moved on to the Met, where we mostly went inside to get into some AC. The perceived temperature here today was over 100. It's now after 10 p.m. and still feels like it's over 90, and the computer sitting on my lap isn't really helping.
But I digress. By the time we finished the bookstore at the Met, it was after 5 -- too late to go to MOMA, so we decided to go have dinner at Saigon where they are in the third year of a labor dispute which the restaurant says is over and which they have printed letters all over the front of the building from the labor council saying it is, but there are still lots of pickets outside. We did go in, so I guess that makes us scabs.
On the way home, I wanted to try this drink I read about called French lemonade. It turns out it's $6 for a liter bottle, though it does taste pretty good. I thought while I was in the grocery store I'd take a picture. This is how all grocery stores in Manhattan look. They have narrower than normal carts, and if one of them is in the aisle, anybody else can't get by. But by and large, most people don't use grocery carts anyway, because they just don't seem to buy that much food at a time, I guess.
Tomorrow we're going to try to find this interesting one-of-a-kind locally crafter jewelry store in SoHo, depending on how hot it is, and we may go to a movie in the afternoon. Then we plan to go to free Friday at MOMA.




No comments:
Post a Comment